[Lazarus] Old Lazarus code fail at runtime

Giuliano Colla giuliano.colla at fastwebnet.it
Tue Dec 27 22:00:19 CET 2016

Il 27/12/2016 12:26, Chavoux Luyt via Lazarus ha scritto:

> Hi,
>
> I wrote a small program for Linux in a previous version of Lazarus
> which compiled and ran without problems before. I have now updated to
> fpc 3.0.0 and Lazarus 1.6 (backports version for Debian X86_64
> Jessie). The code still compiles perfectly (it had a number of
> warnings, but these have now disappeared: e.g. unixfileutil.inc(6,51)
> Warning: Symbol "UTF8ToSys" is deprecated: "Use the function in
> LazUTF8 unit"), but it results in a runtime error
> "Project birds raised exception class 'External: SIGFPE'.
>
>  At address 7FFFEF8FC57F"
>
> when running the following code:
> procedure THoofVrm.OpenBtnClick(Sender: TObject);
> begin
>   OpenDlg.Execute;
> end;
>
> What is wrong with my code (and how should I change it)?
>
> I know that there has been a change in FPC/Lazarus string
> implementation, but this is just a standard Lazarus File Open dialog
> (TOpenDialog) and result in the error before even allowing me to
> select the file to open.
>
>  I am not using either UTF8ToSys or even the unixfileutil unit AFAICT:
> "uses
> Classes, SysUtils, FileUtil, LResources, Forms, Controls, Graphics,
> Dialogs,
>   IpHtml, StdCtrls, ExtCtrls, Buttons, ExtDlgs, AsyncProcess,
> Ipfilebroker,
>   strutils, Soek;"
>
> Any pointers appreciated...
>
> Regards,
> Chavoux

Just a wild guess. The villain might be some property (such as FileName,
Filter or InitialDir) that you did set up with old Lazarus at design
time and which isn't compatible with current version. Revising the
design time properties of your File Open Dialog with Object Inspector
should fix the issue.
Giuliano