[Lazarus] Dockable IDE

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Sat Mar 17 06:59:22 CET 2012

My experience with the 0.9.30.4 and trunk versions suggests that docking
will be discontinued in Lazarus?

The LCL, IDE and Win32 widgetset contain code that breaks Delphi
compatible drag-dock deliberately, for no obvious reason or benefit. It
looks to me as if none of the core developers understands the
implementation and use of dragging in general and drag-dock in detail.
Postponing required fixes to rev. 0.99 will make it almost impossible to
support a dockable IDE any more, due to the many breaks in the current
IDE code.

While a dockable IDE can be achieved in 0.9.30.4 with a few simple
patches, I could not find out what breaks docking in the trunk IDE at
all - the dockable IDE windows simply disappear, including the source
editors and messages windows :-(

Can we agree to make the IDE dockable again *now*, or should I stop
waiting for another usable IDE?

DoDi