[Lazarus] Platform dependent modifier for common shortcut-keys?

Bart bartjunk64 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 23:24:57 CEST 2011

Hi all,

Since we like the "write once, compile anywhere" concept, might it not
also be usefull if we can share (in code) common shortcut-keys between
Mac and non-Mac platforms?

For example, on many OS's running on PC's Ctrl+C, Ctlr+V and Ctlr+X,
Ctrl+Home are used for copy, paste, cut and "goto the very beginning".
On a Mac (AFAIK) the Meta key is used instead of the Ctrl key for this purpose.
(I was told that a Mac can also have a Ctrl-key. I'm poor, so I don't
have a Mac, and so I can't tell.)

Some LCL controls have hardcoded Ctrl+C, Ctlr+Home (etc.) for this,
but that makes them incompatible with Mac standards.

Would it be a bad idea to define a constand that equals ssCtrl on
non-Mac and ssMeta on a Mac?
This would avoid having to write widgetset implementations for
DoKeyDown/DoKeyPress of LCL controls that have build-in support for
these key combinations.

If so, should this be an LCL feature (since it mostly concerns GUI
widgets), or should it be done in the classes unit?

I value your opinions.

Bart